Any rules/codes for ductwork between studs?

Old 12-19-09, 05:07 PM
Any rules/codes for ductwork between studs?

Just wondering if there are common rules/codes for ductwork between studs? Normally they seem to be centered between the two studs. I would like to move a vent close to one of the studs, say maybe an inch away, so that I'll have room to put in some nailers for the interior wall I'm building.

Thanks,
Nick

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-09, 10:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I am assuming you are on an interior wall and have hard pan ductwork in the wall. If so, the ductwork will probably take up all the 14 1/2" in the bay and the hole is centered. Moving the hole may be difficult without tearing up some sheet rock and doing some metal work. You won't move the duct, but may can fabricate the metal boot to accommodate what you want to do. Make sure you are moving it enough to take care of the trim register.

Old 12-20-09, 03:51 PM
The walls have been gutted so there is no sheetrock to contend with. It is an interior wall. I do plan on moving the duct. The duct is only 8 inches wide or so. It's got the flaps on it that nail to each of the studs on either side. My plan was to do some sheet metal work to move the duct close to one stud, maybe an inch away and then add a new stud an inch or so from the other side of the duct. Just wasn't sure if there were any reasons why the duct should be at least some number of inches away from a stud, like condensation.

Thanks,
Nick

Old 12-20-09, 06:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Nope. At least none in general. I shouldn't think there would be a code to cover placement within the bay.

Old 12-20-09, 07:02 PM
Why do you need a nailer stud in the corner on that wall? For a shelf support? Not for drywall backing, just use corner clips. 2" of backing for a partition is fine...
Be safe, Gary