Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Question about something that I don't know what to call it

OH

12-21-09, 11:43 AM   #1  
Question about something that I don't know what to call it

I am not sure of the proper name but it's something like "calatiler". It is in extension of one room of the house that is not over the crawl space. It is about four foot in length than the rest of the house. It is in the master bedroom.

Anyway, the previous owner had the dirt under this section of the house completely pushed in to the bottom of the floors. Her thought was to keep critters from nesting underneath this section. All the other houses around here built the same way have at least about 6 to 12 inches of space between the floor and the ground.

I am in thinking that is for ventaltion and should be the proper way. Am I correct????

When the furnace kicks on, I have to listen all night to what sounds like water dripping onto the vents and the room is colder than heck. Maybe 7-8 degrees colder that the hallway 12 foot away.

Sorry for not knowing the proper construction term for this , but hope you all know what I mean and can help me...

Many thanks in advance.....

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

AZ

12-21-09, 12:00 PM   #2  
Cantilever I'm guessing?

You shouldn't have it in soil contact unless it was built that way. It will rot the wood and sheathing. It needs to be super insulated under the floor in that area...then covered with something to prevent moisture and rot and animal intrusion.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

OH

12-21-09, 01:09 PM   #3  
Posted By: Gunguy45 Cantilever I'm guessing?

You shouldn't have it in soil contact unless it was built that way. It will rot the wood and sheathing. It needs to be super insulated under the floor in that area...then covered with something to prevent moisture and rot and animal intrusion.

That's it!!!! Now I can make some sense when I post in another thread about how to insulate it.

Many thanks and good shooting

Super Moderator

AZ

12-21-09, 01:51 PM   #4  
You could prob leave all your posts here...most of the people check all the new threads. The Pro's know whats needed..unless its something real specific. We have folks in TN, KY, GA....

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

Search this Thread