How to frame around duct works and pipes

Old 12-28-09, 02:57 PM
How to frame around duct works and pipes

So I'm trying to finish my basement and I've run into a problem when it comes to framing in the ceiling in the hallway that leads from the bottom of the stairs to the main area.

On the right wall is the electrical panel and an air duct that is snug against the wall. On the other side of the air duct is a 2 inch gap and then another air duct. Next to that air duct is 5 pipes that all run parallel to the air duct.

What Ive decided to to is create a wall made from 2x3s in between the two air ducts (as seen in the third pic) but I have no clue how to box in the "outside" duct and pipes.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-09, 12:26 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I would use a hung ceiling with the removable tiles instead of trying to frame the ceiling for sheetrock. If you enclose the pipes, what are you going to do if you have to get to them for repair?

Old 12-29-09, 05:40 PM
Construct a box from the 2x3 wall to enclose the other duct and piping. Run a 2x3 horizontally underneath the ductwork and then one vertical to the ceiling joist. Connect those L's with a horizontal piece of 2x3 so you have a nice corner to attach your drywall to.

Old 12-29-09, 05:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I gotta vote for drop ceiling, too. Hate it when you have to cut into a perfectly good ceiling to fix a leak or add a circuit. You will still probably want to box somewhat, but you can do that with the grid components.

Old 12-29-09, 06:34 PM
Thanks so much for the helpful advice. Drop ceiling throughout was my first choice but couldn't convince the wifey so sheetrock it is. She's ok with the risk of having (me) tear down the ceiling in the event of a problem so long as she doesn't have to have the "garbage ceiling".

What I've decided to do is move the black water softener hose over to the outside of the water pipes which leaves me with almost exactly 1.5 inches in between. I'm going to remove the 2x3 wall I just put up and build a soffit around the outside duct using 2x2s and then build the wall from the bottom of the soffit to the floor using 2x3s. I guess I could build the soffit around all 5 pipes but I'm trying to make the most out of the small available.

As for the rest of the ceiling, I'm running 2x2s along the bottom of each joist (I hope I'm using the proper terminology here) to drop the ceiling by the 1.5 inches.

Does this sound like a logical solution?

Old 12-29-09, 06:52 PM
Temporarily Suspended
It's getting to be a weekly occurrence where the wife makes the job harder than it has to be. Just be careful when you're shooting nails or screws into the 2x2s. There always a chance of putting hole in a pipe or the duct.