Floor joist in a brick wall

Old 01-04-10, 04:55 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Floor joist in a brick wall

I would like to know what is the best way to put in interior floor joist in a brick wall. The project I am doing is a end unit brick row house. I am framing up the whole and would like to know what is the best way to put in floor joists. Should I attach a ledger board to the brick wall and put joist hanger on the ledger board or should I put the floor joists directly into the brick wall and put cement around the joists and brick wall.

Old 01-04-10, 05:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Attach nothing to brick heavier than Christmas lights. Brick is a veneer and cannot withstand downward and outward forces as provided with joists. You can't remove the brick or the ones above it will fall, so your best solution is to attach a ledger board drilled through the brick and into a framing member on the other side and use carriage bolts to hold the ledger board. Then you can attach your floor joist hangers to the ledger board. Can you provide any vertical support under the ledger? The solution I offered you is second place at best as you will still have some downward pressure on the outer part of the bolt. If you can provide vertical support under the ledger, you can eliminate that pressure and reduce the chance of crumbing brick. Will there be a room under the joisting?

Old 01-06-10, 12:14 PM
G
I agree with Chandler, brick is a siding, not structural, usually. If you are adding floor joists, I recommend talking to your Building Department as this could easily affect the structural integrity of the building. Verify your Homeowners Insurance is up to date and covers what you are doing.
Be safe, Gary

Old 01-22-10, 12:12 PM
B
This is Baltimore I assume

Generally you guys are right. But in old cities like Baltimore and Annapolis everything is structural brick. In my house all the joists (except in part of the roof) are built into the brick. So the Joist actually rests on a piece of wood that is then resting on brick and the rest of the wall is built up around it. The walls are usually 10 to 12 inches thick. Also bear in mind that these walls are shared between houses (in the same way that a fire wall in a modern town house is shared)

I don't have an answer to your question however, but I'm in the search with you for an addtion I'm planning. I don't think a ledger board would work since you would have to go all the way through and anchor the ledger board inside your neighbors house. My guess is there is something that you can build into the brick that acts as a joist hanger, but I haven't found anything yet.

Old 01-23-10, 09:01 AM
M
If you have an old row house with solid brick walls then you will need to create a pocket in the wall to place the joists. This can be tricky because unlike when they were first building the walls you will have to take out full bricks and cut them to fit. What happened to the original floor joists? If they are still in the walls then you can approach it from a different angle

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: