Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

floor joist

PA

01-07-10, 11:33 AM   #1  
floor joist

I am in the planning stages of some remodeling. I want to remove part of a wall to open up the area into my living room. The house is old (1880) and was built with floor joists measuring 7 1/4" x 3" (actual size). The wall studs are 3" x 3 1/4" actual size. At the area I want to remodel I will be removing the wall and studs making it an opening of 5 feet. Is that too much of an area not held up by a stud? The floor joist is for living space above that area.

Sponsored Links

WA

01-07-10, 03:15 PM   #2  
If you use a header in place of a wall, you need to carry the supporting framing members (jack studs or trimmers) down through the floor with full bearing to the earth on a thickened concrete pier. Or down to a load bearing beam or wall below with solid blocking in the floor space. This chart is a reference for the header size and jacks each side, for the Building Official, if required: http://ftp.resource.org/bsc.ca.gov/t...2_page0376.pdf They may have their own, slightly different.

Be safe, Gary

Search this Thread