framing / header for a new window

Old 01-10-10, 10:03 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
framing / header for a new window

i am opening up a bearing wall in the second floor of my house and putting a new 44" x65" high window. The wall is pretty larg so i dont think there will be structural problems. However i want to make sure we put the righ header supporting the beam on the ceiling since we'll need to take out 2 joyces to make space for the window. I am using a contrator who will do according to code, but want to get independent input.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-10, 05:26 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Doing it to code is minimal standards. It needs to look good and be structurally sound for your particular situation. What type siding do you have? What are your interior walls made of? In order to get the header in properly, he has to tear out part of your interior wall in order to install the king and jack studs to hold the vertical pressure of the header. How thick are your walls? 2x4 or 2x6? He will need to build the header of appropriate thickness of 2x8 plus plywood webbing. The studs you remove will need to be replaced by cripples under the frame area set at 16" oc to carry through your nailing pattern.
Then your exterior needs attention, but we'll wait until you respond as to the composition of the exterior wall.

Old 01-12-10, 09:43 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That's good you are using a Contractor. He is aware of possible conflicts such as: a braced shear panel in the wall design; window 3' from any fan exhaust or intake termination; 3' from the corner or property line; minimum egress size if for a new bedroom; safety glass (if -18"aff) or guards required if coded; proper size header and number of jacks on each side; possible bearing down through floor space to below.

Be safe, Gary