Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Frame concrete wall, No Skirtboard

01-18-10, 06:04 AM   #1  
Frame concrete wall, No Skirtboard

I am about to start my basement Framing. I have a few questions about framing/attaching drywall in the stairwell. I live in a twin and one side of the house has a poured concrete wall.
I attached a drawing (I don't have access to a camera).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4284320187/

So How do I frame out the concrete wall, do i fur out the stair portion and then use 2x4s for the rest of the basment? Will it look strange that there are 2 different thickness's of the wall?

Also, When the house was built there was no skirt-board installed on the steps, the risers just but up against the concrete. When do I attach a a skirt board?

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

MN

01-18-10, 08:42 AM   #2  
Posted By: rcantor So How do I frame out the concrete wall, do i fur out the stair portion and then use 2x4s for the rest of the basment? Will it look strange that there are 2 different thickness's of the wall?
IF this wall is an outside wall you should fur it out 2x2 or 2x4 so you can insulate. If you need to run and electric or plumbing you should fur it at least 2x4. I wouldn't think to would look too strange with different thickness of walls but again you could fur out so they are the same thickness. I wouldn't worry about the cubic inches lost in the wall since it would not be very much. Just remember your wall thickenss of you are putting any doors in.

Posted By: rcantor Also, When the house was built there was no skirt-board installed on the steps, the risers just but up against the concrete. When do I attach a a skirt board?
You don't have to have a skirt board if you don't want one. It just helps prevent damage. To install on you will have to cut the treads and risers.

Electrical AC/DC and lighting Moderator
Professional Electrician, Handyman, all around swell guy!
40,000 people die in auto accidents per year in the US. We should ban cars.

WA

01-18-10, 10:48 AM   #3  
Sounds like the party wall is concrete, if so, the stairs may be minimum width already (36" net). So you don't want to encroach on the stairs more than required. If it is heated, perhaps some furring stips or drywall, denshield (waterproof), glued directly on to minimize depth.

Be safe, Gary

Search this Thread