Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

I beam span ,load,size

01-25-10, 08:16 PM   #1  
I beam span ,load,size

I am building a floor for a rec room above exisiting floor in my garage. The span is 24 feet i can put 2 or 3 steel i beams if needed i dont want any supports under floor, i plan to have pool table and several arcade games on floor . What size beam do i need i want to use steel for strength and because the cieling space is limited.

Sponsored Links

SD

01-26-10, 05:17 PM   #2  
You will have to get a structural engineer to answer that question. There are alot of questions that need to be answered in order for the correct calculations to determine what size beam to use. Myself and others could only make an educated guess here without further info. and we might be wrong. Call an architect or engineer. Thanks for asking

PA

01-27-10, 01:20 PM   #3  
JC is absolutely correct. In addition to the additional support for the floor over the garage, an engineer will also assist in determining the new footers required to carry the new support beams as well as the adequacy of the remaining floor joists. Lots to consider! You'll need engineering drawings for permits. Don't skimp on the permits. It could cost you a sale down the road if/when you choose to sell the house.

Search this Thread