Cement Subfloor on Second Story?

Old 02-14-10, 02:57 PM
Cement Subfloor on Second Story?

We're remodeling our master bedroom and bathroom which is on the second story of our home. We removed the carpet today and found that the subfloor is about 1.75" cement. Some of it is chipped up in a corner so I can see that there is a 1"x6" slat wood subfloor beneath it, which is what I expected to find when I removed the carpet. The only thing between the cement and wood subfloor is felt paper. No lathe or chicken wire was used to reinforce the concrete.

My home was built in 1967 and I find it strange that they floated cement on the second story. I pull up some carpet in another room and it appears our entire second story has floated cement.

My question is why? Why would they float cement on a second story? Is it structural? I can't see it being structural since it doesn't have any reinforcement and it doesn't contain any aggregate, just seems like light weight cement mix.

I'd like to remove it since I will be installing 3/4" wideplank hardwood in the room. Of course, I'd be laying down a plywood subfloor once I remove the cement.

Your advice is really appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-10, 03:14 PM
When I started as a carpenter in '73, apartments all had "lightweight concrete" poured between floor units for sound transmission and ridgidity. We installed a p.t. bottom plate, then another fir bottom plate on that. No wire or steel was required as it was not structural, the boards met minimum code. Remove it if so, add 3/4" ply and hardwood so the door jambs reach the finish floor.

Be safe, Gary

Old 02-14-10, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
When I started as a carpenter in '73, apartments all had "lightweight concrete" poured between floor units for sound transmission and ridgidity. We installed a p.t. bottom plate, then another fir bottom plate on that. No wire or steel was required as it was not structural, the boards met minimum code. Remove it if so, add 3/4" ply and hardwood so the door jambs reach the finish floor.

Be safe, Gary
Thanks Gary. I figured it wasn't structural since it does appear to be really light weight concrete. I may have to replace it with two layers of 3/4" plywood sub to match the height of the other flooring.

Sounds like this was an extra step they took when constructing my home. Interesting.