Screw size and length for soffit

Old 02-18-10, 10:11 AM
Screw size and length for soffit

I'm using metal studs to frame around the 1st Flr beams in an area of the basement I am finishing. I using 20 ga track and 20 ga studs at 16" oc. What size screws do I use to attach the track to the floor joists above? The beam enclosure is about 14" tall and 30" wide. Plan on installing an acoustical ceiling so the wall angle will be attach to the vertical studs as well.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-10, 02:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Any screw long enough to penetrate into the wood would be fine. Probably use one of the 1 5/8" sheetrock screws for metal studs would be fine. They have a self drilling point. Do you have a solid wall to attach the soffit to? Free hanging a metal studded soffit may not be substantial enough to hold itself from racking.

Old 02-19-10, 04:52 AM
Thanks. I have a bunch of #8 x 1" self tapping button head screws to use. I was going to put 2 screws in each joist to support the stud track. Your right about the racking. There is a wall at the ends, and at least 1 side is going to be tight against the steel beam. If it acts like it is going to rack I can put some bracing in on the side not against the beam.

Old 02-19-10, 11:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Roger that, and the screws should be fine.

Search this Thread