Convert wood subfloor/joists to concrete pad

Old 02-27-10, 05:40 AM
Convert wood subfloor/joists to concrete pad

I searched the forums for this, but if I missed the answer somewhere - please point me in the right direct.

I have structure that is built over a crawlspace. I would like to convert the first floor to a concrete pad to be used as a garage. There are no utilities located in this crawlspace.

At first it would seem simple - remove sub-floor/joists - backfill with dirt and compact - add gravel - then pour concrete... but the dilemma arises at the perimeter walls. The exterior load bearing walls are built on top of the sub-floor/joists/sill plate.

Any suggestions what to do with the sill/joists/sub-floor directly under the walls? Pouring the concrete around them does not seem to be correct as they would eventually rot.

thanx in advance for your suggestions

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-10, 12:30 PM
Temporarily Suspended
You're talking about a major structural change which could be problematic to say the least.

If I wanted to do that, I would probably leave the joists there, fill between them & then pour the gravel & cement to cover everything.

Old 03-10-10, 07:23 PM
I agree it will be a feat. You would have to support the second floor while you cut the wall at the bottom and put in a footer to support the wall. And you obviously can't use the existing floor for support. But a picture would help to see what you are attempting. Sounds like a fun project. You would want to get plans from an engineer.