Stone Foundation Problems

Old 03-16-10, 09:23 PM
Stone Foundation Problems

Hi,

I have a very old home. The front part is a story and a half log cabin covered with wood siding. The back part is a "bump out" added on some time after the original structure. The stones in the foundation are loose in places so the foundation needs repaired. Could you repair the foundation by mixing some type of concrete in with the stones to make it secure? If so, what type of concrete? Where/how would you find a place to start so the the foundation would be level after the repair? The floor joists are hand hewned(spelling?) logs.

I unfortunetly don't have photos. Any information general or specific would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Bonnie

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-10, 03:57 AM
Hi Bonnie, I'm not a pro in this field, but you have two issues, stabilizing the foundation and leveling the house.

Stabilizing the foundation will depend upon how bad it is. Solutions will range from something like you suggested to supporting parts of the home and rebuilding what is there.

Leveling the foundation, which means leveling the house is entirely a different issue. Old homes are kind of set in their ways, old people I guess, and hard to change. The framing, the plaster, and the layer upon layer of paint have all adjusted to the current shape and will often refuse to change, at least easily.

How many of you are there to tackle this and do you have any experience? Or were you planning on hiring someone.

Bud

Old 03-17-10, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
Hi Bonnie, I'm not a pro in this field, but you have two issues, stabilizing the foundation and leveling the house.

Stabilizing the foundation will depend upon how bad it is. Solutions will range from something like you suggested to supporting parts of the home and rebuilding what is there.

Leveling the foundation, which means leveling the house is entirely a different issue. Old homes are kind of set in their ways, old people I guess, and hard to change. The framing, the plaster, and the layer upon layer of paint have all adjusted to the current shape and will often refuse to change, at least easily.

How many of you are there to tackle this and do you have any experience? Or were you planning on hiring someone.

Bud

My brother and his friends who all know a fair amount about contruction. Actually I am asking this for my brother he is, more than likely, purchasing my home. I know he is most concerned with the foundation.

In your opinion, I know you can't say for sure, but when is a house not worth fixing? The house is not leaning or sagging from the outside but their is quite alot to do. Gutters and fashia are rotten, upstairs floor is sagging(hopefully just floor itself and not the joist). Windows need replaced. It seems just about everything but I am probably exaggerating a little but I have lived here for 21 years and am looking forward to some straight walls and floors if my contract goes through on another place.

Any help I can pass along to him would be appreciated. I know he is most puzzled with the foundation. Also concerned how a stone foundation will pass building codes?

Many, Many Thanks!

Bonnie

Old 03-18-10, 03:35 AM
Wish I could help more, but the structural condition of that foundation needs to be determined by a pro who can inspect it. Estimates are usually free, so locate a contractor or two and have them look at it.

Bud