Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

Decided to remove Bathtub and now Im deep in water

Old 03-27-10, 08:58 PM

Hello,

Redoing bathroom myself after I was given quote of 5 grand just to cover old bathtub and cover over tiles with surround! Well I removed walls around bathtub, removed tub, found dry rot on sub floor and removed what I felt needed to be removed and now I'm afraid I removed too much although I did not want to do an incomplete job. I took some photos at this link... Bathroom remodel - a set on Flickr Hope link works. I am adding supports because i think there is a bit too much movement on existing subfloor in front of where tub will be and where wall was under studs. I hope this will be adequate I dont want to remove anymore sub-floor because rest I think is OK. Just removed what was under tub.

Thanks for any feedback!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-10, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by ednorton1 View Post
Hello,

Redoing bathroom myself after I was given quote of 5 grand just to cover old bathtub and cover over tiles with surround! Well I removed walls around bathtub, removed tub, found dry rot on sub floor and removed what I felt needed to be removed and now I'm afraid I removed too much although I did not want to do an incomplete job. I took some photos at this link... Bathroom remodel - a set on Flickr Hope link works. I am adding supports because i think there is a bit too much movement on existing subfloor in front of where tub will be and where wall was under studs. I hope this will be adequate I dont want to remove anymore sub-floor because rest I think is OK. Just removed what was under tub.

Thanks for any feedback!!!!
I dont really think the way your trying to reinforce your joists is adequate. you should either sister new joists into the exsisting ones. or cut pieces of joists (not 2x4) whatever size you have either 2x8 or 2x10, cut pieces that will fit perpendicular between 2 joists and use that to provide more support.

Old 03-28-10, 05:58 AM
Thx for reply,

Problem is that on bathtub entry side, I just have a narrow gap to work with and since I dont want to remove entire subfloor, I thought I can add supports this way to shore up this area. there is existing joist right of this section maybe ft or ft half away and half of subfloor is supported by 2x8 attached to existing joist along same run but ended early. Does this mean I have to replace rest of sub floor with solid piece? Hope this makes sense. Photos are at Bathroom remodel - a set on Flickr

Thanks

Old 03-28-10, 06:11 PM
Unless the subfloor can rest directly on top of the floor joists, and the seems can also directly overlap, your not gonna have an adequate system.

Think of the tub weight bearing down and pulling those fasteners on the blocking you added. I wouldn't try to rig anything. You were being thorough to eliminate cut out dry rotted subfloor. But don't cause more problems by piecing together support for an incomplete replacement!

Are you having problems cutting away the complete subfloor?