Need Help for Creaky Plank Floor

Old 04-04-10, 01:33 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need Help for Creaky Plank Floor

We have 1.5"x5" t & g pine plank floors in the upstairs of our log home which also serve as the ceiling downstairs with exposed joists. The floor in the master bedroom has a fair number of uneven boards and gapping and we are going to be putting carpeting over it. I've been drilling holes and driving screws into some of the planks overtop the joists to eliminate some of the uneveness and creaks but there are a few creaks that I can't make go away. I've discovered the source in both of these cases to be in between joists as opposed to over a joist. I tried inserting screws diagonally into the edge of one of the planks and into the adjoining plank thinking that might solve it, but no luck. Any ideas? I'd love to eliminate all of the creaking before the carpet goes down for obvious reasons.

Thanks

Tom

Old 04-05-10, 05:21 AM
M
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Baby powder will get rid of the squeaks but they will come back eventually.

Old 04-07-10, 07:53 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mgmine
Baby powder will get rid of the squeaks but they will come back eventually.
Well, I guess that isn't a solution then since we'll be putting carpeting on top. Thanks though.

Anyone else?

Old 04-07-10, 02:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
If there is space between the t&g, you can also spray dry lube in the crack using the straw attachment. It is basically Teflon and does about what talcum powder does, only longer. Be sure to spray from above as well as below as the Teflon has to touch all the t&g.

Old 04-07-10, 03:17 PM
E
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You SURE about the creaks being inbetween those joists? You are not near walls by chance. Where are these areas exactly? I have put down such planks, and it is quite stout.

Are these creaks the result of someone in particular weighing a lot (like Larry? ), or does it do it for lightweights of the household as well?

I do know that you can screw down into joists, or up from below, and still have creaks by walls, because when the wood shrinks, there forms a gap at the sole plate and floor - and when you walk, the joist itself sinks a tad - and this causes the wood around the nail going through the sole plate. to squeak.

I had to cure such a problem recently in a rental, for a new robust tenant that was being driven insame by the very loud creaking sounds - and that was the cause. I removed the baseboard and actually saw the sole plate floating above the floor by like 1/16th -1/8th inch. I put my finger in the gap and had him walk and I almost got my fingertip pinced shut in the crack! I could actually feel the gap opening bigger, then closing down more, after he went by.

Old 04-07-10, 03:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Squeeks are almost always nails, so if you step between joists and something squeeks, the first thing I would suspect are the 2 nails on either side. Driving a ring shank nail right next to the squeeking nail (so that the heads overlap) usually does the trick.

If it is actually wood to wood squeeking, I'd just get some wood glue and glue the two boards together. Tape the bottom off with masking tape so that the glue doesn't come dripping out.

Old 04-07-10, 07:21 PM
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
"Are these creaks the result of someone in particular weighing a lot (like Larry? ), or does it do it for lightweights of the household as well?"

I resemble that remark!
I don't want to go off topic, but we're working at a local college and the GC has an agreement that we can eat at student rates if we wear our hardhat in. Hey full buffet for $3.61. I hurt! Gotta cut back.

Old 04-07-10, 07:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
LOL! I take it you got your money's worth!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: