Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Adding 2x8's too heavy for attic floor?

MA

04-16-10, 09:19 AM   #1  
Adding 2x8's too heavy for attic floor?

I was getting advice in the insulation section but, wondering if this question was more appropriate for this forum.

I have a 1900's four-square home with a hipped roof. The roof system is not trusses. They are true 2x6's from the center beam to the edges of the roofline. I'm thinking about adding 2x8's on-edge to the existing attic floor joists to raise it. I want to have enough space to add insulation and keep the area as storage (it has 1x6 planks on top now).
I'm concerned whether the existing joists will be able to support the weight of the 2x8's.

Sponsored Links

ME

04-16-10, 09:29 AM   #2  
Hi brian, If you place the new 2x8's directly on top of the 2x6's and span from the outside wall to the center wall support, you would actually be able to increase the load capacity of the ceiling.

The trick will be getting them up there and extending them all the way out to the outside wall. Kind of like a sister placed on top.

Bud

MA

04-16-10, 10:01 AM   #3  
Thanks Bud. The length is not the problem. Unfortunately, the pitch of the hipped roof won't let me reach the soffit ends very easily. I could angle cut the end but, wouldn't that compromise the support at that end (the whole point)? And if I don't cut the end then the 2x8 will stop a few inches short of the soffit.

ME

04-16-10, 12:24 PM   #4  
If you cut the end, you will still have more support than is needed to handle the extra weight of the 2x8. Therefore you are still increasing the load capacity instead of adding load to the existing 2x6's.

Add some strapping or 2x4's vertically to the sides of the 2x6's so you can guide each into place and then secure them. Use screws or a nailer to avoid shaking all of your drywall apart below. I like screws.

Bud

Search this Thread