Rotten sill plate/rim joise

Old 04-28-10, 08:06 AM
Rotten sill plate/rim joise

We have an 8 foot section of the rim joist/sill plate that has rotted in our crawl space. The source of the problem has been corrected, so it won't ever happen again, and it won't get any worse than it is now, but now I am trying to figure out what to do about the existing damage.

Basically, the sill plate is completely gone for those 8 feet, and the rim joist is partially rotted, and deteriorating. The house has already settled completely. The sill was only 1/2" thick, so it didn't have too far to settle. I am worried about jacking the house up to replace the sill/rim joist because it will probably cause drywall cracks and other problems since the house has already settled into its new place for many years.

The floor joists are in good shape still, but are now resting on the concrete foundation.

My question is: Does the rim joist actually provide any structural support? Would it be OK if I just accepted the fact that they are damaged, and leave them be to avoid issues with raising the house? It isn't noticeable at all from upstairs.

My thought was to just add a new footer and a 4x6, and put a couple lallys on the floor joists right next to the existing wall just to take the pressure of the floor joists off the concrete foundation, but not actually raise it up any.

Will anything bad come from having a rotted rim joist? I.e. is the house being supported by the rim joist in any way? Or is it merely there to keep the floor joists true?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-10, 01:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sort of difficult to tell you what to do since it is out of the ordinary. Rim joists run lengthwise and are standing on their edge. Mud sills are laying flat on the block and the floor joists are sitting on top of it. You indicated you only had a 1" mud sill? Most are 1 1/2" and are of pressure treated lumber. Yours probably wasn't giving a terrible amount of support. The mud sill will tend to spread out the pressure from the joist tails across the block wall. But at less than 1", not much weight transfer was happening. Others may have better ideas, but I would, at least run a beam out from the wall an inch or so, the full length of the missing sill plate, add footers and provide vertical support for the ends of the joists. That is opposed to lifting the house which you said you were reluctant to do.

Old 04-28-10, 05:00 PM
The exterior wall sits right above the rim joist. All the weight that is on that wall is transferred down through the rim joist and into the foundation. The rim joist is important.