Sagging Floor

Old 05-04-10, 11:28 AM
Sagging Floor

Recently purchased a 80 yr old foursquare and the floors on the first floor are sagging towards the center of the house. It appears that in the center of the basement there is a concrete wall that was meant to support the center of the home which was partially cut away when the heating system was updated to forced air leaving the beam unsupported in the center.

I want to sure up the sagging beam and floors but I am not sure I want to actually jack it up back to level for fear of damage to the walls/doors above (the house consist of all plaster walls which were recently re-finished).

Is it ok to just support the floor as it sits now and level it from above?

I was planning on installing either a tile or marble floor in the foyer/entry way and I know that the subfloor would be to be sured up.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-10, 03:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! It may take a while, but you can jack the floor back up to its original state and re support it. Taking your time will allow for a few turns and wait period to allow all the wood and other stuff to acclimate to the change slowly. You may still have plaster cracks, but IMO a flat floor is much more reward than a few repairs on the wall. Would there be a way for you to post a couple of pictures of your situation? We can probably give better advice as to how to go about it if we could see what you see. http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...your-post.html

Old 05-04-10, 07:53 PM
Address the sag problem first. Jack it up to where you are satisfied. It is an 80 yr old house and it comes with character.

Old 05-06-10, 09:23 PM
Agree. Jack up carefully and slowly. There may be some plaster created - but having a sagging floor is pretty noticable.

Old 05-08-10, 12:15 PM
I think we all agree that you should level the floor, plus you're planning on adding some xtra weight on it, with either marble or tile.

Search this Thread