Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Help! How to fasten down subfloor to stop squeeking?

IL

05-08-10, 12:34 PM   #1  
Help! How to fasten down subfloor to stop squeeking?

My plywood subfloor is squeeking in spots and I need to fix it before my new oak flooring is installed. I took up the carpet so I have access to the 3/4" subfloor from the the top. Would it be better to try and screw down the flooring again through the joists or use spiral flooring nails. And what type of screw would be best suited to this task?

Sponsored Links

IN

05-08-10, 05:35 PM   #2  
A screw with at least 3/4 inch of threadless shank at the top would clamp the two materials together. That along with the use of an appropriatly sized countersink bit as step one to sink the head without having to overdrive it.

Pick your battles with the screws. Try and locate existing fasteners... Or X them with a marker. Don't wanna drive the installers nuts!

Let's see what else people think here.

MD

05-08-10, 09:23 PM   #3  
Screw it! I use a 2 1/2" flat head square drive. Every 8" or so into the joist.

TX

05-08-10, 10:18 PM   #4  
Heavy duty deckings screws

Heavy duty deckings screws are the solution. Square drive or hex drive - either works well. Don't use dry wall screws - they are too weak.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

05-09-10, 06:33 AM   #5  
I agree with all. I am a torx man, myself. Less slippage and good drivability. If you miss a joist with the screw, don't leave it, pull it out.

IL

05-10-10, 05:44 PM   #6  
I'm going to try and shim the underfloor as well. What do you use for shims just regular cedar shingles?

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

05-11-10, 03:34 AM   #7  
You can use the shingles, or buy shims in packs at one of the big box stores.

Search this Thread