30lb live load ?

Old 05-09-10, 08:05 AM
30lb live load ?

I have some dead space behind a bedroom wall and want to put a walk in closet behind there. I plan on cutting a hole in the wall and putting a door, running electric, etc.

The area I would use as the floor is just 2x4. I contacted the town's building inspector and asked him if I need to do anything special for the flooring.

His response:
Because you are dealing with new habitable living space you will need to contact an engineer. The floor joist will need to be sized to 30lb live load. 50% of the room must be 7' in height. I hope this will give you something to start with.

So - what is a 30 lb live load? I've done an internet search and don't have a definitive answer. Can I hang stringers and 2x6 or is there something else I need to do?

I'll take a few pics and post them.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-10, 09:52 AM
OK - I crawled back there and took a pic and some more measurements.

The "floors" are actually 2x8 on 16" centers - about 7" lower than the adjacent subfloor.

So - I'm thinking that alone would suffice - but since there's a drop - can I hang 2x8s on top of the existing ones? They'll essentially be stacked, but using hangers on the ends. The subfloor I'd add is less than 8' wide.

That's blown insulation on top of the 2x8s so you can't see them.

Here's a pic - lots of dust in the air back there.

Old 05-09-10, 12:31 PM
Are you sure he said 30? A live load would refer to something that moves around like a person.

This link may help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_and_live_loads

Old 05-10-10, 01:27 PM
Yes - the following words were pasted directly from his email:

"Because you are dealing with new habitable living space you will need to contact an engineer. The floor joist will need to be sized to 30lb live load. 50% of the room must be 7' in height. I hope this will give you something to start with."

I'll take a look at the wiki link and see if that helps at all.

Old 05-10-10, 04:35 PM
I suspect there was a typo. Maybe he meant 300 lb.