Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Installling laminated beams to carry roof

ND

05-12-10, 11:45 AM   #1  
Installling laminated beams to carry roof

I'll do my best to explain the project and my needs. I'm going to build a roof over my patio. Rough dimensions 27' wide and 17' out from the house. Based on the info I've been given by a truss company, my two beams will consist of three 2*12 laminated beams and my two posts will also be laminated. I have a two story home and the beams will be installed between the two level (floor joists). The truss company recommends that I cut two holes in the house so I can slide the beams over the ridge of my outside wall and between the floor joists. Two laminated posts will support the opposite ends of the beams. Long story short, do I need to do anything extra on the house where the beams will rest?

Thanks

Last edited by Schmidty; 05-12-10 at 12:44 PM.

Sponsored Links

CAL

06-04-10, 10:59 PM   #2  
ok

Where the beams go into the wall it needs to be supported all the way up.The ridge too if theres a beam there.Strap em.Im not sure I get the whole picture from your discription..The new gable gets stitch nailed to the existing framing and plywood will keep it sturdy.I would be weary of just beams tied in too.That truss needs to be attached to the frame if its against your building.

Search this Thread