Problem with screws in plywood sub-floor

Old 05-25-10, 05:59 PM
Problem with screws in plywood sub-floor

We have just gotten the new OSB plywood sub-floor in to replace the termite infested 2x6 T&G sub-floor. The automatic screw gun we rented left many of the screws not all the way screwed in. In some areas as many as 50% of the screws are as much as 1/8th inch up. It was suggested that we take a hammer and knock the screws down avoiding the expense of renting the automatic screw gun again.

This does not seem right to me. I am concerned that the screws will pop back up and crack my tiles later. We are on a budget and the work needed to finish the project is still extensive. However we don't want to get finished and have to go back and revisit the sub-floor because we didn't do it right.

Anyone have any advice? Am I being over cautious? My husband is ready to burn the house down and collect on the fire insurance!

Terry2fish

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-10, 03:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sometimes the latest gadgetry isn't the best for all the jobs. You need to put a lot of pressure on the screw gun to ensure the screws set properly. You glued down the subflooring, I am certain. A hammer will probably shatter the screws and negate the screw effect. What type screws did you use? My bet is they were not coated decking screws, so you may not be better off. A power screw gun will be your best bet to set the screws. Partially unscrew each one and drive them home with pressure on the gun. You will need to set them as problems will occur if you don't.

Old 05-26-10, 03:38 AM
Thank you Chandler! Yes we did glue it down first and I think we lacked adequate pressure to set the screws with the automatic screw gun. The screws we used were recommended for use in the plywood subfloor. They do have a different head to them so I need to get an appropriate bit for our screw guns and then we can get the job done. Thank you for confirming what we already suspected. The hammer is not a good idea.

"Hunny put the matches and the kerosene away for another day"

Terry2fish