Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

quick simple cheap temporary 2 car garage? to hide things during house remodel

Old 06-08-10, 04:01 AM

wife and i have placed an offer on a house, and the offer was accepted, its a short sale, so it will take around 2-3 months to close escrow. I hardly know anything about framing with all the rules and regulation, and what inspectors need to inspect and what i can do myself and not worry about inspections. im pretty handy with auto tool and wood working tools, just lack the knowledge of where and hows for home or garage buildings.

I plan to soak things up as i go, im sure it will take time, but i figured ill get a jump on things and maybe have some better knowledge about things before we close escrow.

Wife and i plan on redoing the house and doing some extending and adding a garage to the house, ill ask friends that can maybe help and have better knowledge, if i need to hire some friends as well, but i would love to learn as much as i can myself if i plan on saving money to put into materials.

My issue is this, currently i live with my dad and any tools i have would be smarter to store at the new house when we move in, also other materials at the new place.. however it doesnt have a garage, and we are not sure where we would want to build a "permanent" seperate garage/shop yet... however i want to build something cheap, but not permanent, maybe reuse the material later.

So no concrete slab, maybe just lay some flat stones down for the base, build some walls and raise them up, and a simple roof, and maybe a simple garage door with a lock.... can you guys suggest anything? or if there are any such plans available for a simple 2 car garage to put in a weekend? also how much do you guys thing it would cost to put something like this up, with the most basic materials?

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-10, 05:43 AM
It's probably cheaper to buy a temporary garage tent and sell it on e-bay when you finish your remodel. Depending on the size you need they can be very reasonably priced.

Google temporary garage.

Old 06-08-10, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator
How about a POD type thing...or a cargo container. I wouldn't know where you would find one actually...but there are thousands of them sitting around unused. Many places out in the boonies around here have them on their property. My neighbor told me a friend of his has one set up as a hunt cabin....

Last edited by Gunguy45; 06-08-10 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-08-10, 08:49 AM
Group Moderator
I agree with GG. A PODS (portable on demand storage) or shipping container would make a good storage place since it would be weather and critter tight. It would also allow you to store your tools and materials with a lower risk of theft.

The PODS (google PODS) can be a bit pricey though.

IMO if your going to build a garage on a place that doesn't have one, build it right and secure. It would also give you a good starting project to get your feet wet on framing.

Old 06-08-10, 08:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I know the OP stated he doesn't know where they want to build the shop on the property but I think it would make life a lot easier if that can be addressed first, then build the shop [as Toyln suggested], the rest should be fairly smooth sailing

Since it will be used to store tools and supplies you want it to be secure! I don't think a temporary building [other than a POD] would be very secure. IMO making a temp bldg secure wouldn't be worth the effort.

almost forgot welcome to the forums Nick!

Old 06-08-10, 03:33 PM
thanks guys, well 2 car garage in order to put a car in there as well that i have at my dads house that needs work later anr id to have room around the car.

Container would not work for me because of the car issue.

I was thinking to maybe go to home depot and buy some square bricks to lay down as the temporary flooring. then build up 4 walls and put them up and install the roof braces. put up some cheap roofing, some cheap siding, a walk in door and a cheap manual roll up door or something.

then later when i need to i can take it apart and use the meterials on the house or towards to permanent seperate shop.

Old 06-08-10, 04:06 PM
With the size you are talking about, you will have a problem with the inspectors. Temp. buildings (sheds and the like) can only be so big.

I think one of those on site storage containers is a great idea for the tools and some materials. I found the prices to be comparable to similar sized public storage units. That doesn't include delivery and pick up charges.

Old 06-09-10, 01:26 AM
Can you guys suggest a good framing book for beginers b any chance? Something that Will help me Learn the basics first, sizes etc etc?

Old 06-09-10, 09:03 AM
if you guys havent seen this framing video, check it out, i enjoyed it

YouTube - Framing - Floor Joists and Walls

Old 06-09-10, 10:33 AM
Group Moderator
That video is fine but maybe you should view something from the past 3 decades.

Old 06-09-10, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
That video is fine but maybe you should view something from the past 3 decades.
hahaha, didnt they actually build better back then? compared to now, quicker faster, cheaper?

Old 06-09-10, 06:30 PM
Group Moderator
Except the faster/cheaper is because of the building materials are easier. 4x8 sheets of plywood, nail guns all save on the most expensive part, Labor. They are also more efficient and water/air tight.

One other option is putting up a post frame building. This however is more challenging then a traditional framed garage.

I suggest having somebody pour a concrete pad and then you build a garage on that. It's pretty straight forward. THis might help: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...the-ground-up/