Older house subfloor issues

Old 06-10-10, 03:06 PM
Older house subfloor issues

First of all, hi all, I'm new here. My wife and I just recently bought our first home and it's up to me to fix it up. It all started with replacing a shower surround in on of the bathrooms that was made of painted fiberboard. Then it got to replacing the moldy sheet rock, who's surprised there? Then when I tried dry fitting a new vanity to replace the old pedestal sink, I realized the floor was horribly unlevel. So I removed the tiles, a pain, and the cement backer board they were attached too, as well as the rotted OSB beneath that. Now we're down to a bathroom with no sink, no bathtub, no sub floor, nothing. The original sub floor was (I think cuz I never bothered to measure) was 4" wide tongue and groove boards. Under that was a layer of tar paper like used on roofs, finally under that was another layer of what looks to be 4" wide tongue and groove again.

Here's the question after all that: should I tear up all the tongue and groove and replace with plywood or OSB or should I just replace the rotten parts i.e. around the toilet?

Eventually we want to be able to re-floor it with tile again. I'd like to use Advantech (heard about it here) but can't find anyone that carries it in Salt Lake City so what are my next best options?

Thanks in advance. Be kind to the newbie

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-10, 03:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Ideally a solid subflooring would be best, but you have what you have. Is the first layer in a good enough condition to where you can install Advantech on top of it? Advantech is usually available at lumber yards, and big orange's version is called HomeAdvantage.
Oh yeah, welcome to the forums and good luck on the renovation. Let us know if we can help further.

Old 06-11-10, 12:23 PM
The sub floor is only in bad shape around the toilet and will definitely need replaced, which is why I'm wondering if it would be best to just replace it all so I don't have to mess with a leveling compound. I also haven't yet checked to see how level the floor is. The house was originally built in 1949 and I'm sure this is the original floor as it is the same throughout the house looking from the (tiny) crawlspace.

I do have many other questions, but most of them don't apply to this thread to I will post them in the proper places. Thanks for the help.

Old 06-11-10, 01:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
IMO the tongue and groove sub floor is better than any plywood you would replace it with....but if it's all unlevel, you want to address that and tearing it out to the floor joists might be the best way to handle that.

If you are just worried about the thickness of the plywood matching the thickness of the original sub floor [which would be thicker if anything] - that can be addressed by shimming the new plywood to match the height of the original floor.

Old 06-11-10, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the advice on the T and G. In walking on it there isn't any noise that I've noticed so it seems like it was quality work when it was laid. I will check for level, as soon as I find my level (this is why I hate moving ). I don't think my foot long torpedo level will be up for the job.

Once I get to the point of laying a new layer over the existing sub floor or after replacing it, should I use construction adhesive and screws? What type of screws should I use, how long, spacing, etc?