Alternative to Top Plate Overlap

Old 06-11-10, 06:51 AM
Alternative to Top Plate Overlap

All, I have researched this but I am not confident that have a good answer to this question yet. This is an unusual situation, and I will spare you the details unless you are curious.

I have 2 pre-built walls 12H x 16L (frame and OSB) that eventually need to be a single 12 x 32 wall. Is there a proper/acceptable way to tie the two together without overlapping the existing double top plates? I have read that galvanized steel plates can be used in some circumstances, but the exception seems to be applied to scenarios other than what I am talking about.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-10, 08:03 AM
Top Plate

The prebuilt walls gets a single top plate when constructed. After setting in place, install the second top plate with the proper overlap.

Old 06-11-10, 08:46 AM
That may be true in most cases, but these have a double top plate. I'm not against pulling it off, but it will be messy. That's why I was asking about alternatives before I did it.

Old 06-11-10, 11:12 AM
I don't have any information on what you can do, but I would like the details of how your situation came to be. If you really want to avoid removing the top plates, try calling your town inspector to find out what would be acceptable to them.

Maybe you can cut the top plate back 4' on each wall and then replace it with an 8' piece to pull them together. That may reduce some of the work of removing the entire thing.

Old 06-11-10, 03:33 PM
I spend most of my time on the road, so I left this little project in the hands of a friend's contractor friend who needed the work. I like to support the local economy when I can. When I got back in town I was faced with two wall sections - one stood up and one still down. He said it was much easier to construct in sections and then tie them together. I'm not arguing with him there, but he obviously showed his inexperience in the details of of his task.

He's a great guy, but personality doesn't pass inspections.