Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Framing for 9' clg next to room with 8' clg

CAL

06-13-10, 12:45 PM   #1  
Framing for 9' clg next to room with 8' clg

We are going to extend our family room and add a play room onto the house and I would like it to have the play room have a 9' ceiling. The family room is adjacent to it and will have a scissor truss ceiling with the top plates for this room at 8'. Since part of the family room is existing structure and part will be new, I cannot raise all the walls to 9'. However, the play room will consist of all new walls and I would like to have these at 9'. Can we build a double wall with one side having the 8' top plate that the scissor truss would rest on and one right next to it with a 9' top plate to give us a 9' ceiling in the play room? Both rooms will have a gable roof with the ridges running parallel to each other and a valley over this double wall. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

06-14-10, 03:02 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forums! You can do what you want to do PROVIDED the trusses are made for a raised ceiling. Otherwise it will throw off the roof line by a foot. How is that being handled?

Search this Thread