Steel Frame House

Old 06-14-10, 06:32 PM
Steel Frame House

Found out about steel framed houses from this site: AMERICAN STEEL FRAME HOUSING

I'd like to hear any comment pro/con from anyone who has used this or knows someone who has. It seems like a great idea but I'm afraid of hidden cost.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-10, 05:24 PM
I took a glance at the site. Seems like they are kit homes made of steel studs. I think these types of companies are pretty up front about costs. It's not a new idea. My house is a kit home made by Sears in 1928. You ordered it through the mail and it arrived by rail car in pieces.

Old 06-15-10, 06:08 PM
You ordered your house in the mail? ...what address did you give?

Old 06-15-10, 06:15 PM
They do offer "kits" or standard plans that they have. From what I have read on there site they do customs also, you send them your drawings and they use them to developed a pre-cut "kit" for your design. I'm looking for more of the possible pit falls. I can see a construction style that isn't familiar being hard to work with contractors use to wood frames. They say you can use contractor familiar with steel used in commercial construction. I don't want my house to look like a Walmart inside I want it to look like something from Home and Gardens magazine

Old 06-15-10, 07:36 PM
You did not post your location so someone can only guees how important is to you.

One hidden problem is the EXTREME thermal short circuiting if you use the cheap batt insulation (fiberglass). A R19 insulation can effectively be reduced to R11-R13 depending on the stud spacing.

Dick

Old 06-15-10, 07:58 PM
I'm building in SE Alabama, as far as insulation I plan to go with spray foam

Search this Thread