Stick framing Vs Truss Vs SIPS

Old 06-19-10, 12:40 PM
Stick framing Vs Truss Vs SIPS

Which is the best option in terms of cost, structural strength and insulation for wall and roof framing? Is SIPS (Structurally Insulting Form) over hyped? I am finishing 600 SQ.feet of space and I am looking at using Truss and traditional framing. Keeping cost aside, SIPS is being marketed as wonder material that beats the traditional stick framing in strength and insulation. Is this true?

Any one experience with SIPS for roof and wall?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-10, 04:28 AM
Negatives of SIPs

I believe that the SIPs are better for insulation and strength. You can find plenty of rah-rah positives on the web, so I won't bother you with those. The following are some negatives that I have experienced:
1. Insects love to make their home in the styrofoam. We have had all manner of critters infest our house (carpenter ants, termites, yellow jackets, etc).
2. When the panels are damaged, there is practially NO WAY to repair them without removing the whole panel (your wall, roof, etc.). We have water damage to ours and I am still trying to figure out how to repair it without tearing the whole thing down. This has been my biggest beef with the SIPs.
3. If you want to hang anything heavy on the wall (shelving, etc), there are no studs to secure it to. Lighter items are OK because the nails will go into the plywood.
4. If you need to rewire, forget it. You won't be able to install a new outlet very easily because you can't run the wire through the styrofoam.

Old 06-26-10, 07:16 AM
Great points Jimmy. Thanks; I think the disadvantages you have listed are major and I am going ahead with Trusses .

Originally Posted by JimmyJamesJimbo View Post
I believe that the SIPs are better for insulation and strength. You can find plenty of rah-rah positives on the web, so I won't bother you with those. The following are some negatives that I have experienced:
1. Insects love to make their home in the styrofoam. We have had all manner of critters infest our house (carpenter ants, termites, yellow jackets, etc).
2. When the panels are damaged, there is practially NO WAY to repair them without removing the whole panel (your wall, roof, etc.). We have water damage to ours and I am still trying to figure out how to repair it without tearing the whole thing down. This has been my biggest beef with the SIPs.
3. If you want to hang anything heavy on the wall (shelving, etc), there are no studs to secure it to. Lighter items are OK because the nails will go into the plywood.
4. If you need to rewire, forget it. You won't be able to install a new outlet very easily because you can't run the wire through the styrofoam.

Old 06-26-10, 08:54 AM
I think it was This Old House where they were using SIPS and the rep was out talking about them. When asked about running wires he said the electricians will know how to deal with that. That made me laugh.

On a different show, Renovation Nation, this one homeowner was using SIPS and before they were installed, he had to heat up a ball bearing with a torch and drop it down inbetween the two pieces of plywood so electrical wires could be run.

Old 06-28-10, 06:48 PM
wgc
furring strips

I kind of remember This Old House saying that, but I remember more distinctly that they attached furring strips to the interior of the SIPS to mount the interior wall. The gap was sufficient for junction boxes and you had an open cavity to run wiring. It seemed like an excellent solution.