Repairing Grout on Tile Floor??

Old 07-02-10, 09:38 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Repairing Grout on Tile Floor??

I have a house that was built in 1968 on a crawl space. We recently had tile flooring installed in our den over the wood subfloor (backer-board between the subfloor and thinset). I noticed after nearly completing the tile installation that there is a section of the subfloor that is risen, not shagging. Since this section was near the end of the install and not widely noticed, I decided to finish off the tile flooring over the risen area.

A few weeks later, I've noticed that the grout around the tiles in this area have started cracking to the point where it needs repair. I thought about just repairing the grout in this area, but I'm now debating pulling the tiles up and trying to correct the risen floor before grouting.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to correct the grout from cracking again and if it's worth the trouble of pulling all the tiles up to do so? I'd say the area of the risen floor is approx. 5 feet long and affecting 5-6 tiles. I also thought of just pulling the tiles and reapplying the thinset to make it stick more??

Any and all suggestions are much appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-10, 12:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
noticed after nearly completing the tile installation that there is a section of the subfloor that is risen, not shagging. Since this section was near the end of the install and not widely noticed, I decided to finish off the tile flooring over the risen area.

How did you secure the backer board to the subfloor? If the backer board has lifted from the subfloor, it may be possible to re-secure it, without removing tile. Notice I said may be?