Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Self Leveling over cement before tiling

CANADA

07-04-10, 09:04 AM   #1  
Self Leveling over cement before tiling

I need to even out a kitchen subfloor before tiling. There's are variances of 1/8" I am going to use a 2 part self-leveling product (primer & self-leveler).

So here's my dumb question: Do i need to frame the door ways and along the floor to drywall edge where there are cracks to contain the liquid?

Sponsored Links

IN

07-04-10, 10:10 AM   #2  
Yes. You need to prep as if you will be containing water!

NOT a dumb question at all!!

CANADA

07-04-10, 11:16 AM   #3  
i'll use some 2" x 1" strips. should I caulk where there are still gaps/small cracks?

IN

07-04-10, 11:44 AM   #4  
Yes. Think water.

Usually you have a gap between the subfloor and drywall which reveals the walls sole plate, and that would need to be caulked were it joins the floor. But you mention a "floor to drywall edge," suggesting no gap at all?? I would suggest you cut a moisture/movement gap and caulk it at that joint. Just remember that you'll be adding baseboard to that area when you're done with the flooring.
And it's good you'll be doing the primer step.

CANADA

07-04-10, 12:56 PM   #5  
sorry for the confusion. yes, that is the gap... where the drywall meets the subfloor. the baseboards cover it but i removed the baseboards when i took off the old tile. the gap gets quite big in some spots but the 2" x 1" covers most of. but there are still some cracks/crevices that I need to close off. As you said think water...

thanks

IN

07-04-10, 01:24 PM   #6  
Just to be clear the caulking would need to seal only the gap where the sole plate of the wall meets the floor. If you need access to that joint I suggest cutting back that drywall so that the sole plate is exposed. Good to have that drywall off of the concrete anyway. NO 2x1's along the perimeter are needed, just in the doorways. That's too much material and too much fuss.

CANADA

07-04-10, 06:21 PM   #7  
i have an older house and that sole plate joint is a mess; there are actually numerous gaps/crevices which liquid would easily pour down and are too large for caulking. I really have no choice but to put a perimeter of 2 x 1 or something.

IN

07-04-10, 06:44 PM   #8  
Sounds like you have a handle on it.

Happy 4th!

CANADA

07-04-10, 06:46 PM   #9  
thanks for all of your help.

Happy 4th from your neighbours up north : )

Search this Thread