Cement Board Application

Old 07-08-10, 10:32 AM
Cement Board Application

I see different kinds of cement board at HomeDepot. One look like cement sandwich in between fiber wire mesh. The other look like whitish particle board. Which one is better for laying on top of plywood subfloor? Which one more suitable for wet area around the bathroom?

Laurie

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-10, 12:16 PM
I think you are looking at Durock (mesh) and Hardibacker. Both are suitable for a tile underlayment.

Different guys will have different opinions on CBU brand. As a non pro DIYer I prefer the Hardi board brand mostly because it has a layout grid printed on the board. That makes it easier to cut and screw down.

Use 1/4" board for the floor (I think Durock is thicker) and don't try to skimp on the screws. Use the ones recommended for CBU.

Old 07-09-10, 03:37 AM
I would use the "Cement" board. The Hardibacker is basically paper compressed together. If water gets back there, it won't be long before it starts to fall apart. The cement board will last much longer. They make an "easy to cut" version now and it it fantastic.

Old 07-09-10, 04:27 AM
The Hardibacker is basically paper compressed together. If water gets back there, it won't be long before it starts to fall apart. The cement board will last much longer.
Not the case. Hardi is a fiber cement backerboard, and it is made to be used in wet areas. Hardi, Durock, Wonderboard and others are all good products. It's really a personal choice. Whichever you use, they all must be bedded in a fresh bed of thinset and then screwed to the subfloor. Don't skip the thinset step.

Old 07-09-10, 05:29 AM
Originally Posted by cgar View Post
I would use the "Cement" board. The Hardibacker is basically paper compressed together. If water gets back there, it won't be long before it starts to fall apart. The cement board will last much longer. They make an "easy to cut" version now and it it fantastic.
Hardibacker

Note the 90% cement composition.

Old 07-13-10, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by HeresJohnny View Post
Not the case. Hardi is a fiber cement backerboard, and it is made to be used in wet areas. Hardi, Durock, Wonderboard and others are all good products. It's really a personal choice. Whichever you use, they all must be bedded in a fresh bed of thinset and then screwed to the subfloor. Don't skip the thinset step.
Why need a thinset between the subfloor and cement board? Please explain what is the benefit of having this thinset in between.
I have seen some tile installations just screw the cement board on top the subfloor and put tile on top of cement board with thinset.