LVL Beams

Old 08-05-10, 01:28 PM
LVL Beams

I have a ranch that a STRICTURAL ENGINEER said I could take out a lolly column to build an office. My center beams are triple 2x10 and he said to put in a 2x10 LVL along side to remove 1 lolly column in a 14.5 ft span. Put triple 2x6 under it on each end and I would be good to go. After 13 years, no problems. Not even floor skueeks.

I would like to remove another lolly column but it this case I would like a WIDE and NARROW LVL. Something like a 4x6 or 4x8 UNDER the current center beam with somthng like triple 2x6 or 2x8 at each end. I want to keep the height in this area.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-10, 05:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums. You get your strength of the LVL from the height, not the mass, so a wider LVL may not do the job you want. However, you didn't say how long the span is on the new part, so I will reserve further comment until you come through with that.

Old 08-05-10, 08:06 PM
Ask the same, or another Structural Engineer for the answer. He will take the liability and responsibilty for damage to life or property. And your H.O.Insurance would require it for any future claims.

Be safe, Gary

Old 08-06-10, 06:22 AM
Same distance, other end of the house. It sounds like I'll have to move the duct work but I was trying to avoid that. Make sense that the strength comes from the height, didn't think hard enough I guess