Leveling hardwood flooring for laminate.

Old 08-19-10, 10:02 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leveling hardwood flooring for laminate.

(Before you jump down my throat, the previous owner's cat used the entire house as a litter box so the existing hardwood flooring is soaked black with cat pee in some locations. We decided that laying laminate over top, while treating the odor would be the cheapest solution)

Our laying of laminate flooring has gone wonderfully until we ran into the end of one room, where the hardwood flooring drops about 2" over 2' towards the doorway. I've read elsewhere that self-leveling mud is the way to go, but I doubt we would be able to recover the hardwood if we ever decide to fix and restore it someday. I've attempted to level out the floor using a combination of dense styrofoam for the deep spots and wood shims and foam underlayment (very thin) rolled up for the shallower spots. After laying a few coarses towards the door, you can feel that the floor is not sturdy and the laminate bends at the seams. Adding more shims to the seams may help the sturdiness, but I also fear that over time the styrofoam will crush and we'll be back to the same problem.

Has anyone tried this type of guerrilla leveling and had success? Or do I have to go with something more permanent like plywood for sturdiness?

Old 08-19-10, 10:18 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I can't see something which can move, like shims, working long-term for this

You're in for a tough job if you ever want to refinish this hardwood anyway, I think I'd lean toward the self-levelling compound

Old 08-20-10, 08:26 AM
W
I know you're presenting a problem and asking about a solution, but let me ask about what the goal is going a little deeper.

Reason I ask is that I've bought an older house with hardwood floors, the house stinks, it has some areas with vinyl flooring over the hardwood floor and the smell improved from ventilation.

If getting rid of odor is the goal and your house is older, you might want to read through the link below:

BSI-009: New Light In Crawlspaces — Building Science Information

This might be a moisture problem... I've also been through cat urine with my parents house which is less old and has carpet over plywood, the stain is one thing but odor is only a problem when there is moisture.

And if it's an older home where the hardwood floor is allowing air to get through, putting vinyl over it may impede that air flow and allow condensation and put moisture into the soaked hardwood, releasing odor.

And it's possible if it's an older home and the floor was insulated, there may be some sagging from moisture damage at play where you say there's a 2" slope to the door.

Just trying to offer some info on what could be going on which might also need to be adressed.

Old 08-20-10, 09:01 AM
W
oops, doubhle post, deleting the second copy

Last edited by WillK; 08-20-10 at 09:03 AM. Reason: double post
Old 08-20-10, 10:04 AM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You should try to teart the odor before you put the floor down. Like WillK is saying, you may still get that odor to come through the laminate floor. I would give the floor a good washing if you haven't already. Then treat with a product like Nature's Miracle. You can get it in gallon containers with an electric sprayer attached. Don't be shy with it and give it time to work. You'll kick yourself if you pt the new floor down and it still stinks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: