Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

nothced and drilled floor joist, structural issue? (pics)

Old 08-31-10, 09:19 AM

hey there folks

i thought i had a leak in my ceiling, the plaster was cracking a bit, so today i took a knife to it can cut out a section to take a peek.

here is what i found - now there is nothing below this, it is my dining room. no support beam whatsoever and the nearest wall is probably 3', 4' and 6' away in either direction.

the beam has three holers drilled in it, and notch cut out of the top.

the beam is almost 6.75" long, and the notch is 2.75" deep.

do i now have a structural problem and what can be done to correct this?

attached pics

here is where it is

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-10, 02:18 PM
While its not good to do, i wouldnt worry about it.. Theres not much you can do about it except try and sister something on the side of the joist which will be hard with those pipes there.. Ive seen FAR worse notches in joists. bathroom im renovating right now had more than half of a 2x8 nothced out.

I really dont think youll have any problems with that joist.

Old 08-31-10, 02:58 PM
yeah i thought about sistering a piece of wood in there - i can cuit more ceiling out and access the other side of the beam too...

could i use 1/4" plate steel? or 3/4" ply? the gap between the pipes and the beam is small

Old 08-31-10, 03:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That looks like a novice repair to the copper. There must have been a leak there at an earlier time. Note the coupling on the left of the picture and the rather sloppy soldering? I'd repair the plaster and watch the game. I think you are ok with the structure.

Old 08-31-10, 05:06 PM
What's going on above those joists? Is that plastic sheeting?

It looks like that notch was almost a lot bigger based on those markings.

I think the worst thing here is that the floor will be bouncy in that area. That could be why you had cracked plaster, or it could be from a bad patch job.

If you want to add extra support, you could put a couple 2x6's on either side of the notch from that joist to the one next to it like that 2x4 is doing. Except put them on edge. That will possibly help transfer the load.

You should also do something about the miter on that crown.

Old 08-31-10, 06:55 PM
Replace the missing wood with a snug solid wood block and glue. This will limit the compression of the joist with a load above.

Gary

Old 08-31-10, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by plumber red View Post
h no support beam whatsoever and the nearest wall is probably 3', 4' and 6' away in either direction...

..the beam has three holers drilled in it, and notch cut out of the top.
for future reference, the only thing that matters is the span, how far apart the joist goes between any kind of support. If a notch is not made within the middle ⅓ of a span then at least it's not located in the wrong place.