Increasing Header span

Old 09-07-10, 08:39 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Increasing Header span

Hi,

I'd like to remove a support pole in the basement of my ranch. The current header the pole supports is 21' long, made of 4 2x10s and has the support pole in the center of the span.

If I scab the header on one or both sides with steel of the appropriate thickness, width and length, can I remove the pole?
What would be the proper dimensions for the steel?

Are there other ways to accomplish removing the pole Such as an I beam?

Thanks,

Steve

Old 09-07-10, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Some folks here may be able to give rules of thumb or span tables....but the only positive answer will be one given by a structural engineer who can evaluate type of wood, supports, loads, etc after an onsite inspection.

He can spec out exactly what you need and put his years of training and experience to work for you.

Removing the support post doubles your span...and I doubt what you have would be adequate. Don't know what kind of access you have...but getting a 21' anything into most basements would probably be tough. Steel or a glulam beam and complete replacement will probably be your best choice.

Old 09-07-10, 09:45 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I know a contractor who was asked to find out why a guy's living room was sagging in the middle - long story short, the guy had taken out a pole because it was in his way.

You had the good sense not to do that but Vic is right, you need to have a structural engineer take a look at this and expect it to be a little ugly

Old 09-07-10, 10:03 AM
S
Yea, I planned to have an engineer look at it but only if it was feasible. Luckily, I have a walk out basement with an 8' sliding door so can pretty much get anything I need into the basement.

I also have easy access to the existing header.

I don't want to do a complete tear out. I figured adding steel to the existing beam or adding more wood beams or adding a steel I beam might work.

I have a welder and power nearby so I can even weld something in place if needed.

I thought there might be some tried and tested techniques people have used in the past.

Where does one find a structural engineer, anyway? Yellow pages?

Old 09-07-10, 10:07 AM
S
Originally Posted by mitch17
I know a contractor who was asked to find out why a guy's living room was sagging in the middle - long story short, the guy had taken out a pole because it was in his way.
My situation exactly. This beam holds up my living room. Since I have a ranch, it is not carrying a lot of weight, relatively speaking, but when I looked up span for this header in my application, the max was 11 feet, exactly where the pole is. So removing it would likely drop my living room floor enough that I could tile it, put in a floor drain and have a huge walk in shower.

Old 09-07-10, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Thats as good a place to start as any. Not sure if that's a major metro area you live in...but I like to ask local building inspectors for recommendations. They normally know the guys that they never have any issues with. As a rule...they like the fact that you involve them in the process.

You will be getting a permit (if required) right?

Old 09-07-10, 10:52 AM
S
Originally Posted by Gunguy45
You will be getting a permit (if required) right?
Yes, I will get a permit if it's required.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: