Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Vaulted Ceiling Problem

CT

09-03-10, 08:12 PM   #1  
Vaulted Ceiling Problem

I recently purchased a house, the main part of the house was built in 1999 and the addition was built in 2004. The addition is a garage with a huge room above it, 22X30 and it has vaulted ceilings. I recently climbed into the attic over the addition and noticed slight separation between the rafters and the ridge. Based on the plans I got from the town the ridge is a structural beam and color ties are NOT needed. Rafters are 2X10 and color ties were installed in the upper portion of the roof also 2x10 lumber. What is a proper way to attach a rafter to structural ridge? In my case Structural ridge appears to be 13 1/2 LVL spanning 30 feet and the rafters are simply nailed to it. I don't know if I need to add color ties to keep walls from spreading?

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

09-04-10, 03:02 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forums! Collar ties are needed to keep the separation of the rafters from the ridge beam. You can install them directly under the LVL and use the collar ties as a ceiling transition for the room if you like.

WA

09-04-10, 05:57 PM   #3  
"Provide collar ties @ 4 spacings OR a structural ridge
beam at all framed cathedral roofs per IRC Section
R802.3.1." If you add collar ties and drywall, you need to add an attic access if over 30sq.ft. Add solid wood blocking between the rafters against the structural ridge with face nails for lateral resistance or hardware below to stop movement: http://www.strongtie.com/ftp/catalog...09.pdf#page=36

Gary

Search this Thread