Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

exterior sheathing has missing panels - is this okay?

Old 09-14-10, 10:37 AM

It looks like on my production built home, the wall studs went up and most of the exterior sheathing (consisting of OSB panels) were nailed on. However, before all of bare studs could be covered with OSB panels, it looks like they wrapped the exterior of the house with a black membrane/barrier. So some sections of the exterior walls have just the black vapor barrier and nothing underneath, and others have vapor shield and the OSB exterior sheathing. I included a picture (2nd story bedroom). Is this normal? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-10, 01:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

where's the pic?
http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...your-post.html

Old 09-17-10, 08:03 PM
While I was in Indiana, I lived in one of these new neighborhoods and got to see some of these houses going up while I lived there. I think I wondered the same kind of things, my expectation was that plywood sheathing went up over studs on the entire house. What I observed was that this is not the case, I particularly observed this when I took a look in my attic and looked straight out at the gables and saw pink rigid foam.

This is basicly normal apparently. Plywood or OSB is used on the corners to stiffen the house, but it's not necessary elsewhere and it's extra material cost, labor and adds work cutting opennings to completely cover the sides.

The housewrap goes over all of this, then typically rigid foam over that then siding.

Personally if I was doing it myself, I'd probably consider it an added measure of strength to have the plywood sheathing over the entire wall.