Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

Need to repair rot in sill, rim joist and floor joists

Old 09-28-10, 06:31 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I bought a 20-year-old house whose previous owner had "fixed" a rotted sill plate, rim joist and the end of two floor joists. The rot occurred because the exterior stairs dumped water against an improperly flashed exterior wall. Two years after buying the house I found the same problem - the previous owner had repaired the rot but not addressed the root cause.

The problem area is beneath the front door of a standard two-story colonial.

The previous "repair" replaced a section of sill plate (orig lumber replaced with PT) scabbed two floor joists,

Now I have to re-repair the job. I plan on removing the door, replacing the sill plate, replacing the rim joist and (re)scabbing the floor joists. I have the following questions:

1. do I remove the scabs placed on the original joists or just add another scab to the floor joists?

2. Is there a recommended length for the scab(s)?

3. How do I support the wall/floor during sill plate replacement and scabbing? I have several lolly columns that I can place along the good sections of floor joists, but that would seem to make scabbing difficult and also not support the outer wall (above the rotted rim joist) at all.

sill rot pictures by d-cubed - Photobucket

Old 09-29-10, 11:53 AM
W
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
If it's not too big a PITA I would probably just put in new joists alongside the old ones. Put them up before installing the lally column supports. Use a temp beam (4X4) over the lally posts that spans the rotted joists.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: