Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Uneven concrete subfloor floor and adjacent sill

CAL

10-04-10, 01:32 AM   #1  
Uneven concrete subfloor floor and adjacent sill

I removed my sliding glass door and discovered settlement of 1/2" in the subfloor adjacent to the slider, the sill is deteriorated, sill is lower than it should be and sill is lower than the exterior concrete slab.

This is a hillside house, room is below street level. What is the best way to get the height of the sill correct? I was thinking of a sill made of 4" x 6" oak. The other idea was to remove the existing wood sill and pour a concrete sill to the level of the subfloor that has not settled.

Sponsored Links
Temporarily Suspended

NY

10-04-10, 03:43 PM   #2  
Is the sill deteriorated due to water damage? Is so, it should be removed.

CAL

10-04-10, 08:23 PM   #3  
Sill is bad from water, dry-rot, age. Since it is lower than the concrete subfloor and lower than the adjacent exterior slab I can't replace with a 2" x 6" piece of lumber - the height will be wrong. I can install a new sill made of 4" x 6" oak. The other idea was to remove the existing wood sill and pour a concrete sill to the level of the subfloor that has not settled. I have attached 4 photos the should appear below.

The question is: how do I get the sill height correct - concrete or lumber? And, how high is correct? Should sill be even with concrete subfloor? Higher than subfloor?

CAL

10-04-10, 08:30 PM   #4  
I can't see the photos I tried to post - Here is 1 of the 4:

CAL

10-04-10, 08:38 PM   #5  
SD530816 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Temporarily Suspended

NY

10-05-10, 02:42 PM   #6  
All rotted wood has to be removed. If you plan to reuse the sliding glass door, it doesn't matter if you use wood or cement or a combination of the two, as long as you can attach the bottom track to it.

Search this Thread