Uneven concrete subfloor floor and adjacent sill

Old 10-04-10, 01:32 AM
BGC
Uneven concrete subfloor floor and adjacent sill

I removed my sliding glass door and discovered settlement of 1/2" in the subfloor adjacent to the slider, the sill is deteriorated, sill is lower than it should be and sill is lower than the exterior concrete slab.

This is a hillside house, room is below street level. What is the best way to get the height of the sill correct? I was thinking of a sill made of 4" x 6" oak. The other idea was to remove the existing wood sill and pour a concrete sill to the level of the subfloor that has not settled.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-10, 03:43 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Is the sill deteriorated due to water damage? Is so, it should be removed.

Old 10-04-10, 08:23 PM
BGC
Sill is bad from water, dry-rot, age. Since it is lower than the concrete subfloor and lower than the adjacent exterior slab I can't replace with a 2" x 6" piece of lumber - the height will be wrong. I can install a new sill made of 4" x 6" oak. The other idea was to remove the existing wood sill and pour a concrete sill to the level of the subfloor that has not settled. I have attached 4 photos the should appear below.

The question is: how do I get the sill height correct - concrete or lumber? And, how high is correct? Should sill be even with concrete subfloor? Higher than subfloor?

Old 10-04-10, 08:30 PM
BGC
I can't see the photos I tried to post - Here is 1 of the 4:

Old 10-04-10, 08:38 PM
BGC
Old 10-05-10, 02:42 PM
Temporarily Suspended
All rotted wood has to be removed. If you plan to reuse the sliding glass door, it doesn't matter if you use wood or cement or a combination of the two, as long as you can attach the bottom track to it.