Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Framing help in Kitchen

NH

10-07-10, 01:16 PM   #1  
Framing help in Kitchen

Hi Guys,

I am a new member in these forums and I believe I am posting this in the right section. If not please guide me. I live in a condo and I have an open floor plan. There is a seperation wall that seperates my kitchen from the living room. The wall is ceiling high, 5" thick ( I am guessing 2x4 fame) and 30" inches wide, just wide enough to hide the depth of a standard 2 door refrigerator. With my growing family, I need a breakfast bar and the only ideal place for me to install it is where the seperation wall is. I would like to take down the seperation wall down and add a wall cabinet so the kitchen is pushed out a little into the Living room and a L shaped base cabinet that would act as a breakfast bar. Doing this would be just simple and the only draw back to it is that now my whole first floor would look like one big room. But I have 2 different color themes, One in LR and the other in the Kitchen. So I now want build something that would seperate the 2 rooms. My idea is to build a wall/soffit hanging down from the ceiling on the breakfast bar and add may be 4" recessed lights in it. I would not be attaching any cabinets on to the other side, but if I can build the soffit strong enough to be able to, that would be great! I am stuck with no ideas as to how I can build this seperation wall/soffit hanging from the ceiling. Any ideas would be appreciated! I have a cpl of PDF files to give you an idea of what the kitchen is right now and what I want it to look like. I dont know how to at.tach them here for reference. Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links

NH

10-07-10, 02:21 PM   #2  
Here's a link to my drawings. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Picasa Web Albums - Sang - DIY

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

10-07-10, 02:45 PM   #3  
Welcome to the forums! So basically you are bumping out the kitchen into another room, right? The refrigerator stays where it is, you add an overhead cabinet, and base cabinets. Bear in mind stock cabinets will only be 23" deep, and you are showing a cabinet with an aircraft carrier runway on top. If it is deeper than normal, you will need to have it custom made, as well as the countertop. Quite often, if there is no cooktop involved, you would have a cabinet with countertop and overhang past the cabinet sometimes with korbels to hold up the weight, allowing for stools to fit under.
Is that hangy down wall going all the way across the length of the breakfast bar? If so, why? Do you need a division between the rooms?

NH

10-07-10, 04:18 PM   #4  
Hi Chandler,
Thanks for the reply! I uploaded a few more pictures on my web page. They include another drawing of the new wall from the LR view. I also included the pictures of my neighbor's kitchen from which I got this idea. The only difference between our kitchens is that right after the refrigerator he added two wall cabinets that 12" deep and 27" high. The base consists of a lazy susan and extension base cabinets that form a breakfast bar. The base cabinets are 24" deep and the refrigerator itself is a good 36" deep so there is plenty of room to open the refrigerator doors. The only thing I didnt like in that setup is that there is no seperation between the kitchen and the LR. Hence I want to build this soffit/wall hanging from the ceiling and that would run along the length of the breakfast bar. The cabinet for the wall that I have in mind is 14"H x 30"W which is a standard fridge top cabinet that is 12" deep. I already have the quotes for the cabinets and both the top and bottom cabinets line up good. I might even replace the wall cabinet with a standard single door 12"D x 27"H x 21"W. Thanks again for all your help!

NH

10-07-10, 04:27 PM   #5  
Regarding the Airforce runway, lol, with the base cabinets installed with a lazy susan, the actual distance from the refrigerator to the back of the breakfast bar would be 36". So I can actually install a cabinet thats 36" wide and still line up with the base cabinets. I hope I am making sense.

GA

10-08-10, 03:58 AM   #6  
OK, I think you have your base cabinet idea in your mind already. The overhead is your nemesis, now. You may kick yourself later if you don't make this soffit out of cabinets. They will be 12" deep and hang from the support members of the ceiling joists, and are finished with doors facing the kitchen and blank on the LR side. I know making a box wall may be easier, but having cabinets made to match will add an enormous amount of storage space. You can still add your puck lighting to it.

NH

10-08-10, 06:20 PM   #7  
Thanks a lot Chandler! I definitely would love to eliminate the extra work. Now I would love to know how I can build a soffit with the cabinets and hang them from the ceiling joists.

GA

10-09-10, 07:58 AM   #8  
You may can buy ready made cabinets with sufficient support to hang from the ceiling joists. You can finish the side towards the LR with a matching veneer. It is sometimes the best solution. But if you feel froggy and want to build your own, we're here to help.

NH

10-10-10, 10:35 AM   #9  
And if I wanted to build a box wall, how would I do it? Just wondering.

Search this Thread