Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Need galvanized nails for treated sole plate?

GA

10-19-10, 11:58 AM   #1  
Need galvanized nails for treated sole plate?

I thought I was OK for my framing rough-in, but have discovered a flaw in my materials.

I am converting a porch to a living space. For our code, sole plates on concrete slabs must be constructed with treated 2X4s and anchored with the appropriate fasteners.

When I made the switch from 24" OC to 16"OC studs, I used the same nails used in my gun for attaching new studs to the sole plate as I used for the other framing.

Don't know what I was thinking, but I should have used galvanized nails to attach the new studs to the treated sole plate.

Here's my question:
Can I go back and add galvanized nails to the laready-nailed studs that contact the sole plate? I know that's a lot of nails in one 2X4, but that's all I can think of to do.

Of course I can't bring myself to think of the only other alternative.

Suggestions?

This porch that is being converted to a living space is part of a single story 1 family dwelling.

Sponsored Links

MN

10-19-10, 12:31 PM   #2  
Depending on the conditions, you can wait a few years and the nails will not be there(LOL). I saw them gone after 5 months when they were used on a cheap, hurry-up repair that was never covered by the time they applied for a low interest government loan. At least they did not try to use the old fiberglass. It probably made no difference on the loan because it was for damage created by Katrina and the evidence of the original damge was still to be seen.

Add galvanized as best as you can and jerk out as many of the soon-to-be worthless nails as possible.

Dick

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

10-19-10, 02:28 PM   #3  
To further Dick's comments, use hot dipped galvanized nails, not electro galvanized nails.

GA

10-19-10, 06:21 PM   #4  
thanks, guys

Very well. I will yank as many of the standard nails as I can get a grip on and drive the hot-dipped galvanized nails.

How's this for a nailing pattern? I'll toenail from the ends and then center my third and fourth nail between the two that I put in on each side of the 2X4.

I suppose the galvanized nails must be round head nails, right? Or would those special long "green" screws made for treated decking do the trick? I want to do as good a job as possible.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

10-19-10, 06:54 PM   #5  
You can use the coated deck screws just fine. I'd get a torx head screw with probably a T25 head and go for it. Easier than nailing them in, and you won't have any shear problems being in that position, whereas I don't like screws where shear is a factor, like on rafters, etc.

CT

10-20-10, 06:29 AM   #6  
All I can add is that you might want to drill a pilot in the studs if you are driving more nails. Eight nails in the end of a stud is going to chew it up.

WA

10-20-10, 10:12 PM   #7  
You only need one H.D.Galv. on each side of the stud, minimum code is two nails:
Stud to sole plate, toe nail
3-8d (2-1/2" 0.113")
or
2-16d (3-1/2" 0.135")

Gary

CT

10-21-10, 05:32 AM   #8  
I don't have a copy of the current UBC, but I think the requirement for two 16d nails is for end nailing only.

WA

10-21-10, 11:41 AM   #9  
Thanks, Wayne, forgot to label it, 1st table- #16:

2009 IRC: Chapter 6 - Wall Construction

My older (2003) UBC said 4- 8d rather than 2-16d (IRC). Most are on IRC replacing the UBC, check locally.

Gary

Search this Thread