Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Soffit Lookouts, Spacing, and Support

PA

11-22-10, 11:58 AM   #1  
Soffit Lookouts, Spacing, and Support

So I'm boxing in my HVAC unit and the lookouts are going to extend about 9 feet. I plan on using 2x4 for the lookouts. My thought was to put them 1.5" down. Now my ceiling joists are about 20 oc. Can I align my lookouts with my ceiling joists so that putting support in the middle (at the 4.5 ft mark of the lookouts) is easier? I'm assuming I need support to avoid bowing when I put my drywall on.

Also, as for the support at 4.5 ft, I was thinking of using hook and wire like a drop ceiling (18 gauge) since it's very tight spacing between the HVAC, plumbing and everything else I plan on boxing in. Anybody have any experience with using hook and wire or feel strongly against it? I could actually use 2 hook and wires per lookout, perhaps at every 3 feet to increase support.

Last edited by 034runner; 11-22-10 at 12:39 PM.

Sponsored Links
Temporarily Suspended

NY

11-27-10, 03:31 PM   #2  
127 people have read your post & no one has answered. That's probably because no one boxes an HVAC unit. It makes servicing harder. What made you decide to box it?

PA

07-14-11, 06:11 AM   #3  
Posted By: Pulpo 127 people have read your post & no one has answered. That's probably because no one boxes an HVAC unit. It makes servicing harder. What made you decide to box it?
Nobody boxes an HVAC unit? So all the finished basements you've seen have exposed ducts and plumbing?

I'm interested in a (relevant) response to the OP question. I'm going to have a fairwly wide soffit and am worried about sag once the drywall is installed. I didn't think about hook and wire though.

Group Moderator

WI

07-14-11, 06:33 AM   #4  
Box in ducts? Sure

Box in the unit? Never seen it done

The answer Pulpo gave was relevant, it explained the fact this was unusual is likely why no advice had been thus far offered

Search this Thread