Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Framing between two load bearing columns

CT

12-19-10, 07:07 PM   #1  
Framing between two load bearing columns

Hello everyone!

I'm looking to take down a wall (or most of it) between my living room and kitchen, and put in a center island with half raised counter top and bar stools on the living room side of it.

This wall is a load bearing wall and there are two steel columns going down to the basement and attaching to the foundation.

My question is: can I rip out the drywall and 2"x4" framing between these two columns without negatively affecting the structural support of the house? Is the 2"x4" framing doing anything except to put up drywall and possibly hiding utilities? Or is this a case by case basis and I need to hire a structural engineer to tell me?

I'm debating whether to hire out and have a contractor put a beam in and take out the columns ($$$), or if I should just build the island around the columns. I'm leaning more towards option #2.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

12-20-10, 05:06 AM   #2  
I would have an engineer look at it. Small cost to determine if you can do it yourself or not. If a beam is needed, and you intend on taking out steel columns, that may be out of the realm of DIY. I would do door number 2 as well. Get the advice, first.

Search this Thread