Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

will old remodel support new underlayment and tile

Old 01-02-11, 12:21 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello. quite some time ago my house was updated. there had been a small cover front porch. We chose to enclose it and create a small entry room if thats what you would call it. There is a small foundation, from front to back there are two large joices hung in hangers, from side to side on top of sill plate and joices there is 2x6 tongue and groove.I have finally gotten around to finishing the room (floor is 6x8) I would like to use 12 in. tile i need to bring the height up to to existing floor height. My question will the tongue and groove on only 2 joices in hangers and resting on sill support 1/2 in. ply, 1/2 in. hearty backer and tile ? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-11, 12:47 PM
H
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Its not real clear from your description exactly what you have there. You have 2x6 joists, yes? What is the unsupported span of the joists (from support to support from below) and what is the on center spacing of the joists?

1/2" plywood over the t&g boards will be ok. Normally, 1/4" cement board is used on floors. 1/2" cement board will not add any structural support and isnt needed unless you want to make up for some floor height. If thats the case, thicker plywood and 1/4" cement board would be better.