Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Soundproofing floors in older wooden constructed condo

NJ

01-07-11, 06:24 PM   #1  
Soundproofing floors in older wooden constructed condo

This may be posted in the wrong place, but I bought a 30 year old condo constructed of wood. The noise (voices, TV, stereo) from the condo below is unbearable. The complex is a garden apartment style complex, 2 floors, 8 condos in a building. There is no noise transfer from the side units (double sheet rock) just from below.
I was planning (eventually) to replace the carpet in the LR, DR and Kit with laminate floor. Is there something I can put under the flooring to stop the sound transfer.
I have been Googling "soundproofing floors" but all the sites and forums that come up seem to be from companies trying to sell their product.
Does anyone have any advice?

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

01-08-11, 04:53 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums! About the only way to "soundproof", or reduce sound noises will be to remove the subflooring when you remove your carpeting and install a sound deadening material (insulation) between the joists, replace the subflooring and then your final floor. Don't expect the laminate to reduce the noise, but accentuate it, since it is solid. Your carpet was helping somewhat.
You can buy direct, and google is your friend. Example only QUIET BATT®- Acoustic Thermal Insulation Batting

IL

01-08-11, 07:12 AM   #3  
that stuff would help with higher hz sounds. but if they have subwoofer or something = forgetaboutit. moving is the only fix for that.

if it were me = i would get a bunch of that rubbery type laminate floor undelayment, ditra, and plywood.
= underlayment - ditra - underlayment - plywood(3/4") - carpet.

NJ

01-10-11, 12:34 PM   #4  
Alot of condos around here use gypcrete on the floors for its sound proofing qualities. I'm not a big fan of it, but I'm told it does reduce noise.

Gyp-Crete® Gypsum Floor Underlayment - Maxxon

PA

01-17-11, 07:34 PM   #5  
alot of what keeps sound down is Mass....alot of insulation / a mineral wool type insulation that is alot denser than normal r-19 and r-30 but with a downside of being alot more expensive. A company called auralex has a type of rubber mat they are claiming to be around 6 d/b more effective than lead but again it is expensive. you can check it out at Sheetblok Sound Isolation Barrier - Acoustic sound studio construction products from Auralex Acoustics.

I usually don't deal w/ floors but more so walls and w/ a wall I would use a good deal of R-30 and double it up if possible and a pretty thick drywall panel cause like I said mass = quiet. Hope this helps.

Search this Thread