Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

Nailing Stud to Basement Floor with PAT - Nail not in all the way

Old 01-30-11, 05:29 PM

I just purchased a PAT and installed the first stud using three nails. I used the strongest powder (yellow) recommended by the guy at home depot. The nails are slightly sticking out still. I am going to put a frame on top of it and need the nails to go all the way in. I tried hammering them and was able to get them a little further in but it's quite tedious and seems to defeat the purpose of having this nail gun.

Would it be alright to load a shell and put the PAT over the end of the nail that's sticking out and letting it hammer it the rest of the way in? Would it be too much power to use a yellow one again? Is it not good to do it that way? What does everybody recommend here?

Also, is there a way to get them to go all the way in?

Thanks,
Jeff

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-11, 05:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! No, don't use a dry shot to try and sink the pin. You should have marked your plate for studs before putting it down, and just miss the places where the studs will go . You stated you installed the first "stud", and I am sure you meant "plate". Plates are on the floor and ceiling, studs are vertical and connect the two. Drive the pins over, install your studs, and re-pin it clear of the studs.

Old 02-22-11, 06:47 AM
To add to that the top and bottom plates are laid out at the same time laying next to each other so both will line up when installing the studs.
If there not going all the way in then use Tap Cons instead. Old concrete is much harder then green.
When we build a wall in a basement we only install a few studs and build the wall laying down, we install the ones needed in the inside corner with the nailers, one in the middle and the next to last one where the sections will join.
We have snapped a line on the floor the full length of the floor, lift the wall in place and Tap Con the bottom plate so it will not move then set the top plate so the studs are sitting plumb, then nail the top plate. With all that in place you now have a way to measure the length of the missing studs.
No slab is ever perfectly flat and the width of the floor joist is always a little off.