Leveling Floor - Need Advice! (Diagram Inside)

Old 03-01-11, 04:32 PM
Leveling Floor - Need Advice! (Diagram Inside)

My apologies in advance if this is a little long winded. I'd like to level the floor in my dining room. The house is a 110 years old two-story colonial with a fieldstone foundation and I'm sure the original builders weren't thinking about todays codes They used 6x6 beams to split the house in thirds and ran the joists in between. A brick support column was installed below the middle of each beam.

I've stabilized and leveled the beams and now I'd like to focus my attention on the sagging joists in the middle room. (Options below)

Not exactly to scale.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Option 1 - Install a beam underneath the sagging joists and jack it up until the joists are level, then install some permanent steel columns. I'd prefer not to go this route because headroom is already somewhat low. Installing a beam will cause me to duck my head a little. This area in the basement is my workshop so it wouldn't be too convenient.

Option 2 - Level a few joists at a time, sister a 2x8 to each joist. Would the existing sagging 2x6 eventually pull the sistered 2x8 down? This option would be the most asthetically pleasing

But what would be the best thing to do? Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-11, 07:24 PM
How about option 3

How about set up a temporary wall, cut all the joists back 1 1/2 inches that are attached to the 6 x 6's. to allow a sister-ed 2 x 10's onto the parallel 6 x6's ; then proceed with your option 2 using 2 x 10's instead of 2 x 8's. According to my little calculator, you should use 2 x 10's. If it were me I would make sure to use joist holders, and I would put cats underneath.

Old 03-01-11, 08:02 PM
Group Moderator
I like bish80's option 3, but would probably use a 2x10 LVL to sister the 6x6 beams, provided those brick columns and the perimeter wall can be notched out with a pocket to accept it, and provided the LVL would be solidly supported by the cement and brick column. I'd also use hangers to hold the new 2x10 joists.

The sagging 2x6 joists will indeed exert some downward pressure on the new joists, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to try to select 2x10's that are "slightly" crowned and as you set them in place, position them with the crown up so that they are pre-tensioned before they are sistered.

Old 03-02-11, 04:34 AM
Originally Posted by bish80 View Post
How about set up a temporary wall, cut all the joists back 1 1/2 inches that are attached to the 6 x 6's. to allow a sister-ed 2 x 10's onto the parallel 6 x6's ; then proceed with your option 2 using 2 x 10's instead of 2 x 8's. According to my little calculator, you should use 2 x 10's. If it were me I would make sure to use joist holders, and I would put cats underneath.
Great idea! A couple quick things. The 14' span was off of (bad) memory. I measured this morning and its actually 12'-8". I'm not sure if that makes makes a difference.

Also...and excuse my ignorance....but you say to put cats underneath. I'm not familiar with this. Do you mean I should put my wifes cats underneath the new joists just in case things come crashing down? I'm okay with that.... (joking)

Old 03-02-11, 05:24 PM
Also...and excuse my ignorance....but you say to put cats underneath. I'm not familiar with this. Do you mean I should put my wifes cats underneath the new joists just in case things come crashing down? I'm okay with that.... (joking)
I would like to see what a cat would look like in the joists, although I don't think the wife would get the joke.....wives are funny that way.

Sorry for my Long Island vernacular, to me, cats are the blocking you put between the joists to prevent twisting. Since you only have about a twelve foot span I would only use one line, others might disagree.

Old 03-03-11, 04:21 AM
Got it! Last question. When I glue and screw the sistered joists, is any adhesive better than the other? I've been using a polyurethane glue like Gorilla Glue and your standard contruction adhesive lately....

And lastly, I was planning on using screws every 6" or so. Would there be a benefit from using carraige bolts?

Old 03-08-11, 06:02 PM
For me, I use PLP or liquid nails, Gorilla Glue is great, but it tends to expand a lot. If I was attaching a 2 x 10 to a 2 x 6 I would use 3 " lags with some big washers. Good luck.