cement help question

Old 03-28-11, 07:49 AM
cement help question

i currently have a 32 x 48 garage, and i am looking at converting half of that space to my new home. i have put up a wall at the 24 foot make and will be adding 8 foot off the end, so my living space will be 32x32. my question is this, i want to have in floor radiant (hot water) heat. the current structure has a 4" concrete floor already, so can it be done.
can i lay the isulation , put down the pex and then poru concrete over that onto the existing concrete?

thank you
old truck

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-11, 03:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! You may want to check with your building department to see if this is even feasible, making a residence of a garage. There are many factors required to make it into a residence, such as plumbing, electrical, closets, bedrooms, methods of egress.
As far as having radiant heat, you could do it, but it would require something more than making another pour. A second pour would slip and cause problems. There are heating systems (hot water) that can be applied under tile.

Old 04-04-11, 03:50 AM
All of the work your planing will need to go through Zoning, the health Dept. and the building Dept. And you will need about two to three permits. Framing, plumbing, and electrical.
Warmboard Radiant Heat Subfloor: Simply Smarter Radiant Heat