CARPET/SUB FLOOR "EMERGENCY" - please help!

Old 03-28-11, 08:50 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
CARPET/SUB FLOOR "EMERGENCY" - please help!

Didn't know where to post this, under carpet or sub flooring:
We pulled up old carpet (to be replaced with new in two days); nasty particleboard subfloor (house built in 80's). Most is in good condition except: found two nasty old cat pee stains in den, disgusting: and particleboard in bedroom is ok, no mold or wet spots, but has a weird odor, sort of "dusty" perhaps from old carpet we pulled up? Someone told me to use the Kilz oil based stain/odor blocker and just paint over floor, but should I do that OR replace subfloor (major expense and headache)? Please please advise.

Old 03-28-11, 09:16 AM
U
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The oil based version of Kilz is good but it takes a while for its smell to go away; a better choice is a product called BINS. BINS is a shellac based primer, it is more impervious to smells leaching than Kilz and dries faster. It is more expensive than Kilz, and its initial smell is intense (use only with good ventilation) but after after it dries it is generally orderless and is probably the better choice.

Regarding replacing the subflooring - it'd be a major expense and I suspect unnecessary.

For the benefit of other readers write back on which option you selected and how things went.

Good luck.

Old 03-29-11, 07:25 AM
C
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I put two coats of the Zinnser's BIN on the cat pee spots, can't smell anything right now. then decided last night to put BIN over the entire floor in our bedroom where we pulled old carpet up. no cat pee, but still disgusting particle board. truly particle board. I am angry that's what they put down back in the 80's, hindsight and all, but it is what it is and can't afford right now to replace the subfloor. thanks so much!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: