Sill Seal Necessary?

Old 05-14-11, 10:11 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sill Seal Necessary?

I'm worried my contractor messed up and I'm wondering how to fix it. We are in the process of converting a screen-porch to a finished sunroom. The foundation/floor is poured concrete. The walls are up and windows/drywall installed and I started to notice lots of issues. Things not level/plumb, etc. Also errors with the siding installation. LONG story short- I had a friend over looking at the project and he noticed that the footplate does not appear to have any sill seal under it. It is pressure treated wood, but it is in direct contact with the concrete floor. Is this wrong? Is there a way to fix this now other than tearing down the entire thing? It passes the rough framing inspection. Anyone with input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-14-11, 12:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 791 Votes on 728 Posts
Sill sealer isolates non-treated wood from cement and also helps air seal. Regardless of whether or not the sill plate is treated, it would have been good if he would have used it. About all you can do now is run a bead of construction adhesive around the interior perimeter to air seal, and hope that the housewrap and sheathing will act as a drip edge to keep that plate dry. Shouldn't be a huge problem.

Old 05-14-11, 05:03 PM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Sill seal serves as a means to compensate for imperfections in the joint between the foundation and the sill. It is intended to reduce or eliminate air intrusion. Prior to the extensive use of PT lumber the sill seal also served to isolate the sill plate from the foundation.

If no sill seal was installed you can use caulk to seal the joint.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: