Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

Room addition roof higher than old roof...how to tie in?

Old 05-22-11, 12:45 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts

The new addition is perpendicular to the old roof. The new trusses are 10 inches higher than the peak of the existing roof. Would it be better to carry the new roof across the old peak a foot or so and build a dormer of sorts at the end or just tip the ridge board on the new roof to tie in at the peak?
I am not going to remove the trusses and lower the walls of the addition to make it match!! That was one solution I was given.
I think it is 12 feet from the last new truss to the peak of the existing roof. So the ridge board would be tilted 10 inches off level in that 12 foot run. I do not think that would look too bad. Also it would be less penetrations than the dormer type structure and fewer places to flash and worry about leaking.
What do you think?

Old 05-22-11, 01:08 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I've seen intersections like this before. The slope of the old roof continues up until it meets the peak of the new roof. So when you look at the end, there will be a small triangle roof extension of the old roof.

Old 05-22-11, 03:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Yeah, too bad it wasn't discovered at planning stage. It will be visible from the street, but if it don't leak and you're OK with the triangle, you got it made.

Old 05-22-11, 03:41 PM
W
Received 22 Votes on 21 Posts
New Roof

So the ridge board would be tilted 10 inches off level in that 12 foot run. I do not think that would look too bad. Also it would be less penetrations than the dormer type structure and fewer places to flash and worry about leaking.
What do you think?
I think this would look like you made a mistake in design.

Go with Drooplug's and Chandler's solution.

Old 05-22-11, 05:21 PM
Well, Wirepuller, there was a mistake in design....My brother-in law thought he could figure it out himself and did not ask the truss company to come figure it for him. Water under the bridge I reckon!
Now this addition is not centered on the old roof it sets on one end. There will be about 16 feet of old roof showing on the same side as the new. Plus the small bit on the back side of the new. Will that change anyone's answer??

Old 05-22-11, 05:55 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Not mine. If I happen to see an example of what I mentioned the next time I'm walking around town, I will snap a pic and post it.

Old 05-22-11, 06:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Not mine, either, Ben. BIL knows now to call the truss company in to do the measurements. I always have them do any I order from them.

Old 05-22-11, 08:23 PM
Great, Thanks for the advice guys! If I can I will take pics of the finished roof before shingles and after to post.

Old 05-23-11, 06:54 AM
W
Received 22 Votes on 21 Posts
badeyeben,

I did not mean to offend. I am sorry. I too, would not change my opinion about what you should do. Good luck with your project. We look forward to the photos as you progress.

Old 05-23-11, 03:27 PM
No offense taken Wirepuller. BIL had been told by 2 others to call but he can be a bit stubborn. It started thunder-storming today so we only got 1/2 of each side of the fly attached today. It is 16 feet from peak to tail and since it is just me and him (he has a bad back) doing the climbing and attaching we built the fly ladder in 2 pieces. Then we put up a pulley and had his wife, my wife and my daughter pull the fly up to the peak then we bolted it in place. We did from peak down each way for 8 feet and the rain stopped us after that. So it will be a few days before you get to see any pics. 50 percent chance of rain and storms for the next 3 days here so we will see how it goes.
Thanks again to all.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: